Student Finance

Additional Funding

Student Finance

Additional Funding

Sack in Hand

Students can receive additional financial support from range of sources to cover the cost of tuition fees and maintenance (living expenses) towards their UK studies.

It is recommended to research funding options before committing to a course. Options for funding a course include charities, trusts and foundations, research councils, social work funding, physician associate funding, professional and career development loans as well as graduate loans.

Financial Support

Additional Funding

Students may be able to apply for some additional financial support to help them meet the cost of their studies in the UK . Some of these are income assessed. Below are some examples of additional funding options available to students –

Charities, trusts and foundations

Some charities, trusts and foundations make partial funding awards for postgraduate study. You can find out more about charities and trusts at your local library. Useful publications include: The Educational Grants Directory; The Grants Register; The Directory of Grant Making Trusts; and The Charities Digest.

There is a useful online guide to funding from charities and trusts, the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding.

You can search for funding from educational trusts on the Turn2Us website.

Research councils

Social work funding

MA Social Work students might be eligible for funding through either a bursary or the Postgraduate Loan . Universities offered a limited number of bursaries which are allocated according to your interview score, which reflects current Department of Health guidance.

Social work bursaries are available if you:

  • don’t get funding from your employer
  • are studying an approved postgraduate course in social work
  • don’t already have a higher education social work qualification
  • are nominated by your university.

Your bursary will be paid in three instalments, at the start of each semester.

To apply, download the postgraduate application form from the NHS Business Services Authority website. The website also has details of funding levels and application deadlines.

As well as the postgraduate social work bursary, it’s worth exploring other funding options that might apply to you. These include:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
  • Adult Dependent Grant
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance
  • Childcare Grant towards the cost of registered or accredited childcare costs

Physician Associate funding

Health Education England’s (HEE) may be subsiding the tuition fee for UK and EU students starting MSc Physician Associate course.

Professional and Career Development Loans

Professional and Career Development Loans allow you to borrow between £300 and £10,000 to help you fund up to two years of learning. They are available from three high street banks but you can apply online via the Gov.UK website. You will start repaying the loan, plus interest at a reduced rate, one month after your finish your course.

Graduate loans

Graduate loans are available through high street banks. You should discuss your needs with the bank and shop around for the most suitable loans.

Admissions Department

Student Services
If you have any question or need help with admissions, then get in touch with us. We aim to support promptly.

Mon – Fri 9:00A.M. – 6:30P.M.

Quick Contact

WhatsApp: +447476872017

Get Admissions Support

We are using cookies to give you the best experience. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in privacy settings.
AcceptPrivacy Settings


  • Your privacy

Your privacy

We use cookies to improve your experience on our site and to show you relevant advertising.

To find out more, read our updated privacy policy and cookie policy.